Monday 16 May 2016

Mandatory Gear

Today’s blog post will be about equipment; more specifically ‘mandatory gear’. There are so many races that I’d love to enter, from ‘4Peaks’ to the trail running race as part of ‘Adventurefest’ in East Gippsland. Of course looking further into the future, the UTMB, Ultra Fiord in Patagonia, the Great North Walk etc. all require mandatory equipment. 
This usually includes a space blanket, having the capacity to carry a certain amount of water (between 1-2 litres of water), a waterproof jacket, first aid supplies (bandages etc.); the list goes on and on and varies depending on race. For a novice such as myself, it’s a bit daunting. I mean, how are you meant to carry all of this stuff? 
The Salomon Advanced Skin3 S-Lab 12 Hydro Set
(One of those fancy looking racing vests)
In a traditionally shaped backpack, or in one of those fancy looking racing vests? And what are they actually like to run in? All well and good to try on one in a shop when you’re standing still, but what does it feel like after two hours running in it non-stop? If it doesn't feel right, can I return it? And what about the rain jacket? How waterproof does it need to be? The marshals at the start line would all have different opinions. Would something that stays dry in light rain be good enough, or does it have to be super heavy duty? 
Apparently one of the best rain jackets on the market, it'd better be for a whopping $280 AUD




I want to run in races that require these things but to even begin would cost more money then I currently have, and I wouldn’t even know where to begin to look as everyone has different opinions…
Is anyone in a similar boat as I am or was in my position and figured it out? If so I’d love to hear from you by leaving a comment J


The TRN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add what you're thinking, let me know you stopped by, etc., and be considerate of others. It'd be great if you could sign your name, of course.